Monday 18 January 2010

LAST WEEKS LECTURE // INSPIRATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT!!

Last weeks lecture was slightly more packed than usuall as there were also students from other subjects involved. As one of the subjects was Theatre Design, I learnt how much our two subjects are very similar, but with just hundreds of years of technique and technology in between. I can't quite remember what the other subject was but im pretty sure it was in the same boat.

It was interesting to hear other peoples views and how passionately they felt about their subjects as we do for ours. And it made me, and I hope most of us multimedia bods in there appreciate the different mediums and come of our high horses of technology and CGI, to appreciate the original basis of our subject. Forget our HD cameras, Blue Ray and 1080p films for just a moment and realise that without the old days of live theatre and good old novel books we wouldn't be in the world of 3D cinema that we are today. Then when we're making games, films or whatever we decide to venture into, to know that we need a good old story behind it, otherwise it's just another shit film that we seen. I escpecially don't want my work to be looked upon like this, but looked upon as inspiration to others, just like the works of many brilliant directors; Guy Ritchie, John Lasseter, Martin Scorsese, Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, and to do what their works have done for me.

These are just a few of the people I look at as inspiration when developing my own projects. Depending on the project, there are many options that I can get influence from, whether these are Graphic Designers & Typographers; Paul Rand, Herb Lubalin, Jonathan Barnbrook, Ian Swift.
Design Agencies/Animation Studios/Production Companies; Designers Republic, Intro, Fallon, Pixar, Passion Pictures, Saatchi & Saatchi, Gorgeous.
Or Photographers; Matt Stuart, Martin Parr, Magnum (Agency).
Even just Design websites/magazine; Behance, Creative Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment